Where possible, the best option for a person with dementia is often to continue living at home. Some of the support that is available to help them includes:

Equipment to support in the home: a visit to an assessment centres or a visit from an occupational therapist will help to determine the support needed and any equipment that is available. For example, there is a range of equipment to support people with: bathing, washing and dressing.

– After assessment a prescription is taken to the local pharmacist with details of the equipment needed and either collected or delivery arranged.
– Social services cover the cost of the assessment and the equipment they deem necessary in each case
– If a patient would like additional features, different colours or other variations they will need to cover the extra cost.
– If someone wants to buy equipment themselves, without an assessment, help can be found through the Disabled Living Foundation, who have information about national stockists or mail order retailers.

Dementia Care packages: Care packages vary from support from friends or relatives through to a fully employed personal assistant. Local charities can helping in identifying appropriate PA’s. Another alternative would be to employ a care worker privately through a home care agency.

Taking medication: many people forget to take prescribed medication, or take it in the wrong way, which can put their health at risk.
– If a person has daily visits, their carers can ensure they always take the right medication at the right time. They can also keep written records and help collect prescriptions from their doctors or chemists.
– The local chemist can transfer prescriptions into a dosette box which is marked with the days of the week and the times at which medication should be taken.
– Ticking off each dose on a simple diary or planner is another good way to remember what has been taken
If you are still unsure and need support in taking medication, applying creams, drops or lotions you should contact your GP, District Nurse or local chemist for advice.