/Signposting via Local Services

Our unique ‘signposting and referral form scheme’ is designed to meet the specific needs of your care home residents:

We work closely with charities and provide free clinics at Alzheimer’s Society in Wandsworth to prepare health/welfare and financial/property Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA), free of charge.  Where a person no longer has capacity to create a valid LPA, we provide our Deputyship Assist service.

Through partnering with care homes and other organisations, they will signpost to us by sending us an open referral form asking us to make contact with their member, without any obligation.  We then provide initial advice free of charge. Where suitable as a proportionate solution, we offer to prepare financial and property deputyship applications for your residents and their families (applicant deputies).  This encourages a working together approach between the care home and deputy, at a time when Local Authority and NHS resources are severely restricted or unavailable. We find that when we select signposting partners, it results in more choice and awareness of local services for our client (the attorneys/deputies).

We select signposting partners based on our knowledge of care related help needed, our view that local services could be helpful,  appreciation of reviews and references by their members/residents and we consider the clarity of services offered as per their website. There is no contract, partners are always free to simply stop signposting for any reason.

In 2015, Alzheimer’s Society informs us that there will be 856,700 people with dementia in the UK at the current rate of prevalence. 720,251 of the 856,700 people in the UK with dementia will live in England, 45,321 in Wales, 70,162 in Scotland and 20,966 in Northern Ireland. If current trends continue and no action is taken, the number of people with dementia in the UK is forecast by Alzheimer’s Society to increase to 1,142,677 by 2025 and 2,092,945 by 2051, an increase of 40% over the next 12 years and of 156% over the next 38 years.


Dementia Partners’ unique signposting partnerships encourages raising awareness of local services.

So why not get in touch to JOIN OUR PARTNERING SCHEME: Call Reeta on 0800 0238 422.

We have limited spaces available for various UK locations, please do partner early on to avoid disappointment.


About Our Deputyship Assist Services in Care Homes 

Why would it be helpful for your people in Care Homes who have no capacity to manage their own affairs to get a deputy?

The Court of Protection is a specialist court for all issues relating to people who “lack capacity” to manage their financial and property affairs (and there is no other valid power of attorney). The Court appoints financial and property deputies to make all relevant decisions in the best interests of those who lack capacity to do so.

Your care home may manage the health and welfare needs of a person with dementia as per the dementia care plan, which you provide to them.  Your care home personnel will usually be the first to inform the next of kin that they have observed that the person with dementia may no longer have mental capacity to make decisions about many health matters as well their own personal matters such as finance and property affairs.  The care home do not manage the person’s financial or property affairs at all.  It is the sole responsibility of available family to get valid, legal authority to manage the property and financial affairs.

If there are no known family members, the care home may have no alternative to inform the local authority (LA) that a professional deputy may be needed.  The LA will consider if the LA wishes to apply to the Court to become the sole financial and property deputy.  Sometimes, the Court will decide that their Panel solicitor should be appointed as a professional deputy and not the LA.  The Court will consider whether it is proportionate for a panel deputy solicitor to be appointed and paid for their professional services when taking into account the value of the person’s estate, including the estimated value of the property, finances, debts and ongoing liabilities.

We assist families through the complex process of applying to the Court of Protection (our Deputyship Assist Services) so that they as deputy can make financial and property decisions for the person whose health needs the care home is continuing to manage.



We are able to help with getting deputyship at a fraction of the cost charged by high street solicitors. How do we keep our overheads low?  We need to meet some deputys a few times to assist them with preparing the numerous Court of Protection forms together.   Dementia Partners partner with care homes, which keeps our overheads of travelling to a minimum because we do home visits at the  partner care home, on the same date via our appointments system.  Where suitable, we also provide telephone services and online services (with no meeting needed).


How does the referral process work?

If the family believe it is likely that the resident no longer has the mental capacity to make decisions about their own finance and property affairs, our family representative assists the family from beginning to end of the complex process of the family applying for a financial and property deputyship.

Our Deputyship Assist Service can be summarised in five steps.

  1. The care home will send a referral form to Dementia Partners where a resident and their family would like more information about getting a financial and property deputyship (or equivalent)
  2. We meet the family at the care home and take instructions from the family.
  3. We assist with preparing the application and financial disclosure forms for their sign-off.  We arrange for the required, up to date certification by the GP or specialist confirming lack of capacity to manage financial and property affairs.
  4. We file forms at the Court and serve formal notices on interested parties, within strict time limits.
  5. We keep the applicant deputy updated on progress and close our file when the deputyship is obtained.

We also provide guidance to applicant deputys on the workings of the Court of Protection including:
•Its powers
• The forms and timetable when applying for deputyship
• What happens after getting the deputyship
• Considering proportionality when making day to day decisions compared to making decisions about significant financial and property affairs